Hustle and Tech: An introduction to a better life
To move or act energetically and rapidly (thefreedictionary.com)
To make strenuous efforts to obtain (merriam-webster.com)
an enterprising person determined to succeed; go-getter (dictionary.reference.com)
The Pursuit of Happyness
Quick, answer this: What’s the one thing we all want to obtain? The answer’s actually pretty simple: when it comes down to it, we all just want to lead happy lives. What’s this mean exactly? Well for most people, happiness largely breaks down into these seven main desires:
- Money, or what having money means: comfort, amenities, toys, stuff. We’d like to make more money so that we can acquire whatever it is that gives us pleasure.
- Health: It’s incredibly difficult to stay happy when we’re physically ill or in pain. Being healthy gives us the freedom to enjoy other things in our lives.
- Time: With more time on our hands, we have the ability to “stop and smell the roses”, so to speak. We want to be able to enjoy life and spend it with loved ones, without having to think about all the work we have to do.
- Freedom: Like time, having freedom means the ability to do what we want without obligations or restraints getting in the way. We are happy when we are free to do what we like when we like, where we like, or how we like.
- Security: We’d like to know that our life, well being, and possessions are safe from harm or inconvenience. Fear gets in the way of happiness, so we strive to protect ourselves from danger.
- Fulfillment: Part of the human condition is the drive to achieve meaningful things. We want to pursue activities that vibe with who we are, while having an impact on the world around us.
- Connection: We all want companionship. Our connection to others whether family, friends, or lovers, makes us happy in ways achievement can’t. Sharing our thoughts, feelings and ideas with others is a natural urge.
Essentially, we just want to be successful at life. We want to get more done at work, have more fun at play, and share the experience. Fortunately for us, the great news is that as humans we already have an ace in the hole…
What separates us from the animals?
Tools. Invention. Since the dawn of humankind, we’ve been coming up with clever ways to make the world work for us. From when man first chased away savage beasts with a pointy stick, to sailing across the ocean with a compass and a map of the stars, to genetically engineering soybeans, to tweeting photos of our breakfast to strangers – we invent the means to satisfy every new desire. This is what got us to the top of the food chain, or actually above it. This is what we call technology.
If you take a look at the progression of technology over the past few decades, you’ll undoubtedly notice the absolutely breakneck pace at which it moves. With new developments occurring faster and faster with time, it’s almost like a powerful force, a being of its own. In fact, technology progresses so “energetically and rapidly” it brings to mind our definition of hustle… and we must in turn hustle to harness it. We can use this force (brave Jedi) to positively transform our lives and bring ourselves success and happiness.
We must be Tech Hustlers.
This site exists for a few reasons:
- to bring you knowledge of what’s happening in the tech world, showing you the new and interesting developments,
- to filter through the noise and find the meaningful and important, so you don’t waste time on the rest, and then
- to show the benefit to you, and how to apply these in order to successfully enhance and bring happiness to your life.
So stick around – if you like to make technology work for you rather than the other way round, then together we face an exciting journey in life as a tech hustler! Make sure to hit ‘Subscribe’ to receive updates from this blog. Stay tuned!